Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First facial

 I experienced my first professional facial last night at Burke Williams spa.  My wonderful sis-in-laws, Denise and Marci, surprised me with a spa night for my birthday.  It was fabulous.

We marinated and talked for an hour in the spa while replenishing fluids with fruity, cucumber water.  Then I was whisked away by Mimi the aesthetician for an hour-long facial.  It didn't seem like an hour at all.  The experience was great, but I've decided a full facial is the yin and yang of basic spa treatments all wrapped in one hour.  The first half hour was blissful relaxation as a prelude to the pain of cleaning out my larger-than-I-wish-they-were pores.  Mimi applied a variety of pleasant-scented cleansers, exfoliating scrubs, and an extra Vitamin C peel (since it was my birthday) to my face and neck.  Adding the neck, arm and feet massage, with a parafin wax treatment on my hands just for fun, and I almost asked her to just leave me there for a nap.

I knew the next part was not going to be pleasant, but did she really have to relax me to the point of sleeping just to hurt me?  Those who have experienced a facial know, the next step to a refreshed face was the extractions.  Extractions.  It's such a nice way to say squeezing the guts out of your pores until tears fall down your cheeks.  Literally.  I think one of the little folds in my ear filled with tears while I was lying there at Mimi's mercy.  "Beauty hurts" is not a lie.  My nose is still tender.

In the end, I really did feel fabulous and walked out of there committed to take better care of myself.  I splurged on a few skin care products to help me out.  I'm feeling the effects of the sun and getting older, and I don't think my under $10 products from the drugstore are going to cut it anymore.  I have a reputation to uphold you know.  My Mom and Grandma look amazing at their ages because of how well they have taken care of their skin.  Hopefully there's some magic in the family genes that passed down to me too.  It's my Mom-mode that puts my needs last which usually get forgotten or sacrificed because of lack of time and energy on my part.

That needs to change.

I'm trying.

This was a good baby step.

Thanks 'Nise and Marci!

Oh, the picture at the top?  That's the best my cell phone would do of the pretty floating rose petals while we waited to eat at Amber after the spa.  My Man doesn't like Indian food, so when Marci suggested this place I was all for it.  I could ramble on about all the different curries, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, mint, lentils, and many strong flavors I love in Indian food.

The meal we shared was outstanding.  We tried some delicious potato and goat cheese appetizers, a chicken kabob dish, and my favorite, a coconut-curry chicken with rice.  We all wanted more Naan bread to soak up the left over sauce it was THAT good.  So flippin' delicious!  The flavors were incredible and we had a great time sharing good food.  I could have taken a little more heat even.  I thought of my Grandpa P who loved eating and sharing food with his family from all over the world.  He passed on that love to me too.  

The three of us have decided to make spa night a tri-annual (or quarterly) thing.  Might I suggest we share an Indian meal every time too?!  :)

No comments: