Friday, March 20, 2009

What a wife!

Lately, I have been reevaluating my marriage and what kind of wife I am to my husband.

My cousin's husband passed away very unexpectedly over a week ago. She is barely older than me and also has 4 young children. I have thought about and prayed for her every day since. While pondering her situation and speaking to family who live close to her it has strengthened my belief in God and that he can truly lighten our burdens. My dear cousin is a great example to me of faith and strength. I will continue to think of her often, and pray that this time between now and seeing her husband again will be full of happiness. I love you Andrea and am thinking of you!

I mention this because pondering my cousin's situation has forced me to look inward to my relationship with my husband. Am I the kind of wife that my husband would think of fondly if I were gone? Would he remember me nagging him about putting his clothes away all the time or would he think of the things I do for him that let him know I love him? As a mother of young kids who take up so much time, it is easy to let the marriage building things sit on the back burner. I really notice when Dave and I don't take the time to build and strengthen our relationship. We get short with each other, and I start to think of him as working against me instead of the 2 of us helping each other with our common goals.

Anyway, I am more aware of just how much Mr. Bennett means to me and how hard he works for us and our children. He is my perfect compliment in so many ways, and I would be lost in life without him. The song "Lucky" playing at the left says it so well.

They don't know how long it takes
Waitin' for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
Lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been what I have been
Lucky we're in love in every way....

I am renewed in purpose to be all that I can be in the wife department. . . . . . .just as soon as he puts away that pile of clothes at the foot of the bed. ;)On a related note, our power went out a couple nights ago. We just got home from baseball games and dinner with the P's. The kids were trying to get ready for bed since it was well past pumpkin time (8:00). The lights flickered twice and then went dead for a couple hours. Toby, who was the only one awake still, helped me set up all the candles and I had the place bathed in candle light before you could say "Boo." Dave and I joked when he got home several minutes later that I had just sorted and put away all my candles the night before and now they were all out again.It was nice, and a little foreign, to have a quiet and dark house. After the kids were in bed and we took super fast showers, to beat the water heater running out, I hesitated for a minute. What was I going to do? This was usually the time I used to wind down checking email, editing pictures, writing here or snuggling with Dave on the couch if a show was on that we liked. I decided to go read in bed by the candle light, but as soon as I did the lights went back on. Did I turn them all off and continue with my plans? No. Lame huh. I should have. Just goes to show how much of a distraction our electronics are sometimes. I mentioned to Mr. Bennett that it would be fun to have a mandatory candle night once a week, with and without the kids. He said, "you know how we'd end up most the time, right?"
"Mmmm, hmmm," I said.

1 comment:

Jill said...

yeah, "mandatory candle night" would definitely strengthen anyone's marriage! hehe!