Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Story time with Grandma

The kids were excited to play hooky from school today to spend the day with Great-Grandma Payne. She is here for a quick visit, so we set aside today to get together. Although we live far away and don't see Grandma often, my kids talk about her a lot and miss her after we've seen her. All the kids enjoyed talking Grandma's ear off about baseball, piano, friends, superheroes, church and their interests, and Grandma was so sweet to listen- all day. She is an incredible lady who has traveled the world, knows so much about our country's history, our pioneer heritage, cooking, travel, politics, etc. You name it she knows something about it. I hope I look this good and do as much as she does when I am 80 years old.
Great-Grandma Jaynnan is an expert story-teller, and she loves reading to her grand kids. I knew she would bring some books for the kids. We were not disappointed. She brought her favorites to share. Grandma ended up reading all 6 books straight through for over an hour. Logan, who sits still for maybe 20 minutes max, was glued to the couch for all but one of the books. Grandma does great voices for the different characters and even recited an extra story to the kids from memory. It was so cute to hear the kids giggle and groan while Grandma read. They had so much fun. All the kids loved "Skippyjon Jones" so much they asked Grandma to read it again and held it in our picture at the end of the day. Now I have huge shoes to fill in the story time department. I have to step up my game big time.I wanted the kids to have an opportunity to learn more about their Great-Grandma and to tell her about themselves too. We sat around the table drawing pictures and talking. The kids and I asked Grandma questions about her favorites, her childhood and her family. When we all got restless we went on a walk around the neighborhood. Poor Sydney was accidentally tipped over twice when I let the boys push her in the new stroller I got yesterday. Thanks goodness for a stroller with a 5-point harness. Despite that, the day with Grandma was just what I imagined it would be.

No comments: