Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Good deed Wednesday

My morning routine since Dave is home in the mornings (no job yet) is as follows:

roll out of bed
make J's lunch
get dressed and walk J to school
go on my own walk around the neighborhood, including a choice hill that really wakes me up

This morning as I was walking back home I saw a huge possum walking around the condo's where Jen and Tom live. I slowed down to see if he was going to go down in a burrow, but he just walked around sniffing the air. I kept on my way home when out of nowhere I spotted a baby possum <----(looked just like this) in the grass right next to me. Ah-Ha! Big scary boy possum was really fat Mommy possum looking for her baby. I kept walking home to bring the boys up to see him and get the camera, of course.

That tiny, shivering body seemed too helpless though. I turned around, picked him up with a nearby paper bag, and walked back up the sidewalk to find his Mom. Little Fuzz is not the smartest marsupial on the block. Every time I put him inside the iron fence to walk toward Mom he turned around and shivered his way out to the sidewalk again. Plan B was to hop the fence, carry Fuzz as close as I could get to Mom without risking a rabies shot, and hopefully saving him and reuniting Mom with her little guy. It worked! I even got a loud hiss and bared teeth as a thank you. Some other critter must have disturbed that possum family because as I walked home for good I saw another little baby in the parking lot who didn't make it. We're talking guts on the outside and everything. sad.

and I learned that opossums rarely have rabies so I could have walked right up to Mom and handed her little Fuzz. ;)

1 comment:

Amy Sorensen said...

(I came to your blog by way of your post on 2peas. It IS a little scary throwing yourself out there at the beginning!)

What a cool experience. I hope your little possum makes it! We had baby birds in one of our trees last year, and it was so fun to watch them---until the cat got one. Then, not so much because I was just anxious for them to be able to fly away from our horrible kitty!