Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What's shakin'?

WE WERE! Last night we had a 5.6 magnitude earthquake in San Jose that sent us rolling. Dave was just taking his shirt off to get in the shower. I was folding clothes on the couch. Coop and Toby were with me in the living room watching the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. Jessie was gone at the church for Roadshow practice. Suddenly the ceiling started shaking and I figured our upstairs neighbors were doing something crazy up there. When the shaking got louder, the windows started vibrating, and my feet were moving I knew it was an earthquake. I scooped up Coop and joined Dave in the doorway. Toby was too scared of Max (our scared parrot who flew down to the floor) to get off the computer chair and come to us. Just then the quake stopped, but Dave and I both felt like we were still moving for a good minute or two. It is such a strange feeling to have the ground moving underneath you. We went outside for a minute in case there was another quake, and the pool water was a mini wave pool.

We haven't felt an earthquake that large in this area for a long time. Dave lived here for the big one in '89 but this was my first quake over 4.0. I really hope and pray we don't have a big one while we live in these old apartments. I'm not sure how they would hold up.

No comments: