Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas spirit

With the Christmas season winding down I look back at all the little things I stressed over and realize they were trivial to what should really matter. With Dave traveling, studying for numerous tests and graduating from school all in December, we didn't think about Christmas shopping until 2 weeks before Christmas which was kinda nice. Considering Dave just graduated and he doesn't have a job yet, shopping for both sides of the family without breaking the (very small) bank was tough. I like Mom Grace's idea that we just spend our money each year on going somewhere as a family, like renting a cabin in the mountains, instead of buying so much.

I tried to plan more activities to celebrate Christ's birth instead of focusing on gifts. We did have a great time on family outings. Next year I will plan a service project so we can give the kids a bigger picture of what Christmas is all about. I want the kids to remember each Christmas for what we DID for others instead of what presents they got that year.

On that note, our sweet Jessie got to stay up with Dad late a few nights before Christmas to wrap presents. Dad helped her wrap all her gifts to the family. Then they wrapped several in a row for Toby from Mom and Dad. Jessie started to cry and blurted out through her tears that she wanted to give Toby more than the one gift she had picked out. J felt bad that she only had one gift for Toby while we had several. She melted my heart right there and I realized how much little Jess loves her brother. We worked it out so that she gave Toby one of the gifts we had for him and I thanked Heavenly Father for such a thoughtful, loving little girl. I hope she keeps that Christmas spirit with her forever.

No comments: