Friday, January 23, 2009

Cami's Cakes

Wouldn't that be a cute name for a business? Sweet and a little cheesy. If I started a cake business that might just be the name.

I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes. Each time I find myself wandering the aisles at Michael's for supplies and inspiration I check out the cake decorating classes. I always say I am too busy and will do it later. Well, I realized later would be when the kids are older and then who do I make the cakes for? One of the reasons I want to learn how to do cakes is so my kids can have some wicked cool birthday cakes without having to shell out $50 a pop for them. So, before Jessie's last birthday I bought a few basic supplies with the ever-handy 40% off coupons at Michaels. My first attempt at a cake went well and I had so much fun.

Here is my 2nd cake for Toby's birthday. I'm happy to say it turned out just how I saw it in my head. This was my first attempt at Marshmallow fondant covering the cake instead of frosting. I loved it and learned some tricks and what not to do pretty quickly. I just followed the recipe and directions here to make the Marshmallow fondant- thank you Cake Journal! Toby loved his Batman cake and Dave was impressed with my creation. I think I'm hooked! Making cakes is so much fun and gives me a great excuse to get crafty.

YES, it even tasted pretty good. Toby wanted chocolate cake and vanilla icing which I thought was a little strange. I put a thick layer of whipped icing on top of the cake before the fondant, so that people would have some frosting left over if they didn't want to eat the fondant. The marshmallow fondant tasted good but I know not everyone likes to eat it with the cake, including me. ;)

I think next time I want to try a cherry almond creation................

8 comments:

Sami said...

VERY cute cake! You are super creative! Scott's cousin has a cake decorating feddish too. Check out her blog:
http://www.camiscreations.blogspot.com/

When you said you would call it Cami's cakes, it made me think of cami's creations.

Again, VERY cool cake

Anonymous said...

WOW! Kyle begged for a Safeway cake last year since mine always come out "floppy." Did it taste good?

Ty and Kenz said...

Holy cow Camille, That is fantastic! You did such a great job. I can't believe how big your kids are getting. I got your blog from Kate Payne, hope you don't mind. I have a blog too but its private so if you would like to see it just email me. sweetswan03@hotmail.com
McKendra

Jen said...

Once again . . . what can't you do??? :) You are my idol Camille!
Hope everyone's doing better!!! I'm feeling for you!

The Dailey's said...

SOOO IMPRESSED! That's all I can say, what a cool birthday cake!

Kate said...

Wow that is so cute! I'm officially a little jealous because Cake decorating is my dream! Ok maybe I would get sick of it if it was my living, but I think i could have a lot of fun doing it a couple times a year for birthdays! Thats it, you've inspired me! Next cake I make will be adorable! :)

Anonymous said...

cute!!! there's already a bakery name Cami Cakes :(.....google it.

Camille said...

Wow, thanks anonymous. Frankly, I wasn't remotely serious about starting a business with that name. If I was, checking out Google to make sure the name didn't already exist would be my obvious first step.