Saturday, July 12, 2008

Beware Old Ladies!

I was in the office supply aisle of the store a few days ago when, what I assumed to be, an older woman and her mother passed by us at the end of the aisle. Sydney was sleeping in her carseat resting on top of the cart. Logan, who's mood sets the tone for any outing, was entertaining himself quietly in the cart. Jessie and Toby were playing I Spy or something around me. I was actually enjoying our time out of the house and everyone was well-behaved. So these two old ladies walk by and all the sudden I hear, "Oh look. In my day those things were called mohawks!" out of the old lady. It is true the boy's mohawks are like flashing neon signs in a store window- they attract attention much more quickly.

Sidenote: I have a terrible track record with old ladies while out with the kids. Either they get mad at me for something that is not in my control (like having to wait behind my cart full of groceries in the check out line instead of going to the express lane) or they are just rude and grouchy. I have long considered any old lady hostile territory until proven otherwise.

So the mohawk comment comes floating my way and I braced myself. The daughter comes closer and says, "Oooohhhh. Is the baby a girl? That's so sweet, you have two of each." Jessie and Toby launch into the names, ages, and current likes of each child while I anxiously wait for them to leave us alone. They popped the bubble that was my ideallic shopping experience with my young kids. Plus, I hadn't determined if the old lady was a friendly or not. They kept walking past the aisle and as the daughter leaves my line of sight she says, "Good Luck!" I had to stop and process that for a second. The way she said "Good Luck" you would have thought I shuffled in the store in my pj's with black bags under my eyes and 4 dirty, slobbery kids hanging all over me and filling the aisles with whining and crying. The kids were perfect and I even had on earrings, a little make-up, and wedge sandals that matched my outfit. Her comment momentarily ruined my day, but I didn't dwell on it long. I am well aware that anywhere I go, most people give me a second glance because a young mother with four kids is such a rare sight where we live. I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Pretty funny!!! I usually dread taking the kids to the store, but in Utah everybody has a gazillion kiddies so it's usually not a stretch to have full carts and screaming kids. Inevitably after I get to the store and watch how everyone else's kids behave I leave appreciating my kids a little bit more!! Good Luck...(just kidding!)