Thursday, December 02, 2010

Dinnertime jokes

I dread dinnertime lately.  Five o'clock rolls around before I know it, and by that time there IS no time to plan and cook a decent meal.  I end up throwing something quick in the oven or whipping something together when the kids tummies start growling at me from across the room.  Not exactly Mother of the Year material.

Tonight over our green beans, Mickey Mouse chicken nuggets and meatless corn dogs (not a punishment, they're actually good) the kids and I started talking about abbreviations and weird spellings of words when Toby said AKA while telling a story.

Logan:  "What does AKA mean?"

Mom:  "It's the first letters of each word in also known as.  Known is spelled funny, with a silent K."

Jessie:  "I hear a lot of abbreviations like that at school; ASAP is as soon as possible, G2G is got to go,  TTYL is talk to you later, and LOL is laugh out loud."

*long pause*

Sydney: "Mom, there's crap on my chicken nugget."

Mom:  "You mean crumbs."

Toby:  *giggle* "Syd said C-R-A-P, AKA P-O-O-P!"

Logan, our cute Kindergartner,  for sure knows how to spell poop, so he totally got Toby's joke.  He started in with his wicked little giggle and before long the whole table was in a fit of giggles.

Syd didn't get the joke, but she really wanted to get in on the fun.  All the sudden she looked at me with a grin and said, "K-O-I-T, less rock, less talk!"

Totally unexpected and hilarious!  By then I was laughing out loud.  I couldn't believe she remembered the call sign and slogan of KOIT 96.5, the radio station we listen to in the car.  Well, she almost had it right.  It's ♫"light rock, less talk. 96.5 KOIT."♫  They play 24 hour Christmas music starting around Thanksgiving and we've spent a considerable amount of time in the car lately.  Kids really do say the darndest things. 

3 comments:

Jill said...

oh my goodness! that made me LOL! (seriously!) what silly kids! miss you!

Crack-a-lackin! said...

ugh...I've read this a hundred times! Update your blog already!

Camille said...

Fine, you come do the dinner dishes, clean up the kitchen and get the chillies ready for bed and I'll sit and update the blog. It probably won't get done until that happens.....